– Ed Shaw (Untappd: edshaw1977)
Having found myself in York for the afternoon of New Year’s Eve 2016, I decided to try and visit as many craft beer outlets as possible. I was surprised by the number of venues in the area and how great so many of them sounded. I had to be selective and work out a route that didn’t waste too much time walking instead of drinking!
My first port of call was The Maltings, near to York Railway Station, which was ideal to get my bearings and also to quench my thirst following the journey. It turned out to be one of my favourite venues of the day. It’s a fairly large pub with some interesting décor and a great range of beers, both on tap and in their fridge.
From The Maltings I set off on the longest walk of the tour, which would place me at my furthest destination from the station, ready to visit as many places as possible on my walk back. Brew York is based in a small industrial site off Walmgate on the banks of the River Foss. They have a great set up, with a sizeable bar next to their brewing area.
From here I popped into The Hop which had a fair few ales on tap, although not so many bottles and cans on offer. After this Pavement Vaults offered a good range then Thor’s Tipi pop up bar (now closed until November 2017), which had warming fires and another really good Brew York beer on.
The Shambles Tavern is a great bottle shop and also has a couple of beers on tap, set on one of York’s most picturesque and well known streets. The Duke Of York followed, a traditional pub which was fairly busy but still had a decent choice. Next, on Stonegate was the excellent House Of The Trembling Madness. Downstairs it houses a large range of beers to take away whilst upstairs there’s a small bar area with lots of creatures on the walls – I opted for an excellent Cloudwater IPA here.
Last on my list was a quick pint in a downstairs bar called Sotano where I had my fourth Brew York beer, all of which were of a high standard. Sotano also offered one of the best fridge selections of the day. I left York with the impression I could probably do another tour visiting all different venues and not be disappointed, so I will be back!
If you visit any of the places featured in this blog, please let them know that Beer Tours sent you.
Full list of beers
- Crate Brewery – Pale (The Maltings)
- Brew York – Little Eagle IPA (Brew York)
- Brew York – Brew York, Brew York Pale Ale (Brew York)
- Acorn Brewery – Olicana IPA (The Hop)
- Tiny Rebel Brewing Co – Fugg Life Pale Ale (Pavement Vaults)
- Brew York – Thor’s Thunder Session IPA (Thor’s Tipi Bar)
- Rudgate Brewery – Shambles Tavern Stumbler Golden Ale (Shambles Tavern)
- Ridgeside Brewery – Ridgeside Keyholder Pale Ale (Duke of York)
- Cloudwater Brew Co – Autumn and Winter IPA Mosaic Exp 431 (House of the Trembling Madness)
- Brew York – Big Eagle American IPA (Sotano)